Thursday, December 03, 2009

QUIZES, TEST, using CLASSMARKER.




I haven’t truly experience students saying “Our dog ate my homework Miss” but close “My baby sister ate or chewed my homework”. I have heard that said twice. I am not surprise that things happens.
After reading Makiko’s blog about classmarker I thought I must to check it up so I did.
http://www.classmarker.com/

After signing in, I played around a bit and explore the possibilities. I notice I was creating my quizzes in no time. I find it user friendly. I can think of many ways. It allow you to choose things like how many questions to display per page, are questions given in random order etc.
I like this idea to check your students understanding about a unit or can be use as formative assessments. You could design a test to suit student’s needs. The results could be used by the teacher to see which students need extra support and which students are competent with their math’s. This could also help the teacher buddy students into pairs or groups with a high achieving student and a lower achieving student in the same group, this way they could learn from their peers.

Advantages:
For Teachers/Learning Manager:
 I like the idea of storing your test/quizzes as well as going back to edit or add what ever you need.
 You can access it wherever there is an Internet.
 Save time and paperwork.
 Teachers can also hide the test after it has been taken so you can still see the results but your learners cannot.

For Students:
 Students will be able to access their quizzes test at home
 Great for a student who attends so many activities like sports.
 They can attend the test anywhere and finish it their own pace.
What do you think?
Cheers Mary-Ann

Image retrived December 2,2009, from:http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/homedog.gif&imgrefurl=http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/clip/homedog.html&usg=__T01bxwYtR_IvXt2anYull_gb6os=&h=604&w=550&sz=21&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=S14GNk1h-Zz4lM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddog%2Beating%2Bhomework%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4RNWN_enAU326AU327%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mary-ann,

    You have developed some great ideas here. I believe that Quizzes can provide a great opportunity for students to be re-engaged in content that they may have lost their motivation for because it provides a chance for students to trump the other students and prove that they know more than the others. This tactic can also be used in groups.

    Prensky, M (Oct, 2001), Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants, MCB University, http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. So True Damian,

    Some student can be sensitive about thier achievements. In this way you can reduce teasing and bullying as well.

    Cheers Mary-Ann

    ReplyDelete